Saturday, June 12, 2010

Update

To fill everyone in on what I've been up to:

-Last Weekend: Rwanda-Tanzania Soccer Match at Amhoro ('Peace') Stadium in Kigali. Rwanda won 1-0. Those infernal plastic trumpets that you can hear at all the World Cup matches? Yes, they blew them for the entire 90+ minutes, including halftime.

-This week: trying to get in contact with KADET, the MFI in Nairobi who I will be visiting eventually. Finally heard from them on Friday, and as I assumed, they are too busy/not ready for training yet. They would like me to come in mid-July, more about that later.

-This weekend: WORLD CUP! I'm trying to get excited since I'm away from America and have moved to the 94% of the world that actually gives a crap about soccer. So I actually watched both games yesterday, and felt robbed when both of them ended up as ties. But I'm excited for tonight's USA-England match. It's easier to care when you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to watch.

So future plans? I'm going to continue to supervise the Micro journals at VFC, but my workload is diminishing as I transfer my responsibilities. I will be traveling at least a couple more times to the field branches, as they do some more hiring and will need additional training. So I'm hoping I'll have time to do some 'vacationing,' like spending a few days up in Uganda. There's a lake close to the border that has a campsite on an island that's really cheap and you can canoe around, so that sounds amazing. I'll wait to see what's going to happen this July. If I'm extended for a month, I'll mostly be helping at KADET in Nairobi. I want to take the bus at least one way (at least 24 hour trip, unreliable, dangerous, classic African experience) but I'm not sure I'll be up to taking it both ways. We'll see.

Antonina's husband will be visiting in a couple weeks, and we're all planning on going to Akagera National Park out East, where there's giraffes, gazelles, and elephants (lions if we're lucky).

Please continue to pray for me, especially as I look toward the future after this internship is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment