Friday, May 21, 2010

Nothing New

If you can't see the picture, this is what my internet does on a not-so-rare basis- spend five or ten minutes down at zero Kbps, and then suddenly jump to 60 (which is almost fast enough to go on youtube!) It's pretty annoying. And this is the good internet, which World Vision is paying about $80 a month for.


I thought I'd update, even though not much has been happening. Work continues to go slowly, as the branches are getting the update forms in at a glacial pace.

In other news, I'm almost halfway finished with my stay here. It's gone by very quickly, and there's a lot I plan on doing before I leave:

-Visit Uganda and Kenya. A co-worker of my dad has family in Kampala, so I'll contact them and see about crashing with them for a night or two. In Kenya, I'll make it a work/pleasure trip (so that hopefully VFI will pay for some of my travel) to visit the MFI in Nairobi and help them get their Micro program running. I might stay for a few days to a week, depending on how much I can actually help them with. Probably in two weeks, or when I know that VFC is going to be on track with the journals in my absence.

-Go on a safari. The multi-day ones are too expensive, so I'll try to do a day trip (Akagera park here in Rwanda is reasonable, and has all the giraffes/elephants/lions that you would expect to find) I'll investigate trips in Kenya as well.

-Go to the genocide memorials

-Write some blog posts about Rwanda and African politics. This weekend I'll try to do a couple. I think it'll be a series of four or five posts, talking about colonialism, the genocide, and current politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment