Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trip to Kenya Part 1: Nairobi and Malindi

Like a boss

Flew into Nairobi for work on Sunday. I'm going to spend about two weeks in Kenya, doing training and various sundry activities related to microfinance. It's a nice change of pace, as Nairobi has full-on shopping malls that actually sell ice cream and donuts and Western candy (noticing a trend here?) and reasonably priced breakfast cereal. I walked from my hotel to the Nakumatt on Sunday and purchased a Snickers ice cream bar. Definite highlight.

I woke up at 2:45 am Monday morning to watch the Super Bowl. I watched on slingbox as best I could considering the poor connection, and went to sleep with the Packers up 21-10 just before halftime. I woke up two hours later just a few minutes after they were announced champions. Good way to start a day.

I spent Monday in the Nairobi office, and then flew to Malindi Monday night. It's a seaside city positively teeming with old Europeans with ridiculous tans and inappropriate clothes. Anyway, tomorrow I'm taking a matatu five hours into the bush to take another matatu another three hours further into the bush. Good times! I'll post photos when I get to Mombasa on Friday.

1 comment: