Friday, November 19, 2010

Bringing Home the... Fruit


Just to give you an idea of what I get when I go to the market. I went to Nyabugogo market on Thursday after work, 'hired' a boy to carry my bags ("Give me a job." "Ok.") and bought all this stuff. It cost 7000 RWF, or about $12. I'm sure that's significantly more than the locals pay- no matter whose stall I went to, they seemed to have a set price as if it were run by the local passion fruit and onion cartel. Usually I hear a high price and bargain it down eventually, but I was unable to budge them more than 100 RWF or 2, even after starting to walk away.
Anyway, the only things in this picture that maybe aren't easily recognizable to Americans are the tree tomatoes (oblong red/yellow things on the right) and passion fruit (small green/brown fruit on the right). And the big green things on the right are mangoes. Papayas are gross.

2 comments:

  1. Man... you sure have it good! Only $12 for that? Amazing! Also.... can I hire a boy to carry my bags for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha you need to come to the developing world for that. I paid him 400 RWF (less than a dollar), which is actually double the normal wage.

    ReplyDelete