Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Which I Go to Rwanda


Well, I've arrived. I was on the very first direct KLM flight from Amsterdam to Kigali, and we were greeted at the airport with drums, dancers, souvenirs, and cameras. I'll put some pictures of that up once I get my computer.

I moved into a house with a few other expats in the Kimihurura neighborhood (just a short bus ride west to get to the center of Kigali) and I'm settling in. The house is rather poorly equipped (especially in the kitchen), but it's comfortable enough and my housemates seem to be cool. I had a good time buying sheets in Nyabugogo market last week, making sure that they're 100% cotton instead of the 65% polyester blend that are presumably cheaper.

I've been enjoying plentiful fruits, such as mangos, passion fruit, bananas, tree tomatoes, and avocados as big as grapefruits (I'm serious- I'll post pics) that are fairly cheap in all the markets. It's kind of a pain to get around, having to rely on buses and moto taxis, but once I get in a rhythm it'll be easier.

Work in Africa wouldn't be complete without a few hitches, such as not having the computer that was ordered for me a month previously, and the two main people on my project being transferred to other branches within two weeks of my arrival, and needing to train their replacements. Which is to say that everything is going as expected.

2 comments:

  1. I like the A.A.Milne-esque title of your post.

    Where did you find the cool picture?

    -mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just finished reading 'King Solomon's Mines,' a late 19th century adventure story about British explorers in Africa, and just Googled it. (The picture is from the 1950s film adaptation.)

    ReplyDelete