Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

L-R- Sam, Lisette, Davina
Thanksgiving abroad is an interesting affair. First of all, it doesn't feel remotely like Thanksgiving. It's in the 80s every day and sunny, and everything is green. I see friends posting on Facebook about listening to Christmas music, and I just have no real desire to listen to it- it's impossible to get into the spirit. I could go through the rituals of these holidays, force myself to eat turkey and listen to the PoG Christmas CD, but it's weird when the form is divorced from the context that I'm familiar with. It just doesn't feel right.

Which is why it's somehow appropriate that this was my Thanksgiving dinner:




This is none other than Khana Khazana, the best Indian food this side of the Mississippi. I didn't know that I liked Indian food until I ate here over the summer; all I had had before was those crappy buffets. It's pretty expensive for Kigali, but hey, it's Thanksgiving. Drinks and tip and everything was like $17 a person.
But, of course, the important part of Thanksgiving is giving thanks. I'm thankful for:
-A good job that has allowed me to come all the way over to Africa, meet a bunch of great people, and learn a lot;
-Family back home that is praying for me and has supported me through the last two years of unemployment and hurry quick I need to buy stuff for Africa;
-Housemates that are cool and I get along with;
-most of all, for Andrea and Dave's beautiful baby girl and my neice, Georgia. I'm very excited for getting to visit them over Christmas.
P.S.- my housemates are Sam and Lisette, Davina is a friend of Lisette's who hangs out with us on occasion. Sam (Philadelphia) is here teaching dance, and Lisette (Netherlands) is doing Malaria research for a Master's thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment